Gardening is good for you…
The purpose of our Association is to foster interest in gardening in Comberton and this is mostly achieved by holding an Open Show – usually in the autumn, and a Plant Sale- usually in June.
We also sponsor a Best Kept Garden competition with a prize of a Silver Spoon presented at the show.
Dates for 2017 include:
- Spring Plant Sale on Saturday 13th May 10am, Crossroads
- Summer Barbeque Saturday 8th July 6pm, Long Road Allotments
- Autumn Show – Saturday 16 September, Meridian School (see results below)
- AGM – Wednesday 22 November 7:30pm Village hall
We only manage the Parish Council allotments off Long Road.
The Parish Council owns some two acres of land north of the houses on Foxes Way and the Association manages these, on behalf of the Council, at a peppercorn rent. There are 32 plots each of 5 poles which are available for villagers.
The allotments in South Street are slightly larger (the plots are 10 pole each) and are owned and managed by the Loyal and Ancient Order of Shepherds, which has its HQ in Market Street, Ely. Its Local Agent is Jane Wakelin 01223 263355. As of May there were just two half plots available!
Allotments and Gardens Association membership stands at £2 per year. Rent per plot can be as low as £10 per year (half for concessions). Contact the Secretary, Robin Worship .
Trophy Winners 2017
The Autumn Show held on the 16th September was a very successful event with 543 entries from 103 exhibitors .
The full list of Trophy winners is as follows:-
- Gentlemens’ Challenge Cup (Highest points in Show) Peter Gladders
- Gentlemens’ Silver Cup (2nd Highest points in Show) Richard Kingshott
- Ladies’ Challenge Bowl (Highest points in Show) Mavis Symonds
- Ladies’ Silver Cup (2nd Highest points in Show) Barbara Wallace
- Storey Cup (Highest Points for Juniors) Annie Tarring
- Silver Cup & Certificate (Best Vegetable Exhibit) Peter Gladders
- Certificate (Best Fruit exhibit) Jude Brown
- Certificate (Best Flower exhibit) Peter Gladders
- Master Gardener Trophy (Collection of Flowers&Veg) Peter Gladders
- Harry Sewell Trophy (Collection of Vegetables) Robin Worship
- WI Handicraft Cup (Highest points in Handicraft) Mavis Symonds
- Evelyn Watts trophy (Highest points in Cookery) Richard Kingshott
- Gerry Hall Trophy (Chocolate Beer cake – Men only) Chris Rothwell
- Comberton Wine Club Cup (Best Wine in show) Barbara Wallace
- Mike Winney Trophy (Best Photograph in Show) D Fernando
- Frank Hollick Book Prize (Best in Childrens’ Art Classes) Freya Rossiter
- Watts Salver (Best Kept Allotment- Long Road Site) David Burman